10 Annual Sheep Dog Trial & Farm Festival
Merck Forest and Farmland Center's annual Sheep Dog Trial and Farm Festival falls in the early summer this year. Join us for this two-day event, hosted on our beautiful mountaintop farm, and MFFC's own farm festival that showcases our working landscape at its finest.
July 12 and 13, 2014, 8am - 4pm
Tickets are sold at the door: $5/adult, $3/child ages 4 - 12, and under age 4 are free
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Merck Forest Open Sheep Dog Competition
8am - 4pm, Saturday and Sunday
Bring your own lawn chairs, or grab a seat under the large tent, and enjoy watching the line-up of handlers and dogs compete in the Merck Forest Open. Prizes are awarded to the winners on Sunday afternoon.
Farm Festival - Events run all day
The farm festival has a variety of activities all around the farm, which are kid and adult friendly:
- Explore the Berries - Take a time-out from the trials to pick some berries at the raspberry patch (weather-dependent)
- Wool Weaving - Explore the fiber arts and learn about wool and woven products by making your own.
- Chicken Coop Craft Corner - On your way to check out the coop, create a craft, and join in the games and activities on the lawn, including this year's Honeybee Boogie by the hives.
- Take a Gander in the Garden - Check out what is growing in the garden this summer, maybe sample a crispy, crunchy veggie or two.
Regional Fiber Artists - Vending and demonstrating all day
Fiber artists from nearby New York and Vermont will be set up and demonstrating their craft in the sap house. We are excited to have so many great crafters joining the festival this year. Items for sale include sheep wool rugs, hats, towels, yarn, angora goat products, alpaca fibers, batik-dyed fibers, felted products, wool dog products, crafting tools, and more!
- Contented Butterfly Farm - Jen Cary, Windsor, Vermont
- Descansamos Fibers - Lisa Velasquez, Wells, Vermont
- Ewes Muse - Mariko Hancock, Poultney, Vermont
- JVU Knits - Judith Ungar, Arlington, Vermont
- Laughing Child Farm - Brooke Hughes-Muse, Pawlet, Vermont
- Sadie's Suitcase - Kathy Stancampiano, Granville, New York
- Woolambia - Maureen and Neil Dwyer, Wells, Vermont
- Amity Farm Batik - Carol Law Conklin, Whitehall, NY
- Annie's Knitting Kabin - Ann Gregory, Granville, NY
- Cedar Spirit - Mary Jo McCarthy, North Hero, VT
Food & Refreshments by Sherman's General Store - Served all day
Kelli and Dan Raymond, West Rupert, Vermont
Food options include:
- Merck's own grilled pork kielbasa
- Merck's own pork sausage sandwiches
- Veggie burgers
- Potato salad
- Baked Beans
- Cold Water and Soda
- Battenkill Creamery's unbelievably good whole and chocolate milk.