All of the hunting on Merck Forest and Farmland Center property is done in accordance with Vermont Hunting Laws and MFFC land use practices and programming needs.
As of November 2012, 25% of MFFC's 3100 acres are contained within a Hunting Safety Zone. Hunting or discharging a firearm is prohibited within this designated safety area. Areas outside the safety zone are open to hunting and access to this part of the property is easiest through the South Gate Entrance. Hunters should be familiar with the rules and guidelines below.
MFFC Hunting & Trapping Rules and Guidelines:
- Hunters are required to be aware of and adhere to the MFFC Hunting Safety Zone
- Hunting at MFFC is a privilege, NOT a right.
- Handguns are prohibited on MFFC property.
- Trapping is prohibited on MFFC property because MFFC is dog-friendly.
- Hunters are required to sign in at Hunter's Registry at the Visitor Center or South Gate.
- Hunting stands may be erected during hunting season but may not be permanently attached (i.e. no nails, bolts, or screws can be used). Hunting stands must be clearly identified with the user's name, address, and phone number in accordance with Vermont Law and must be registered at the MFFC Visitor Center. Unmarked stands will be torn down.
- Hunting stands may be erected between September 1st and December 15th. Stands on MFFC property outside of these dates will be torn down.
- All hunters are required to wear at least one article of blaze orange clothing while hunting at MFFC during rifle season.
- Hunting of these animals is permitted as indicated:
- Bear in season
- Deer during bow, rifle and black powder seasons
- Game birds in fall and spring seasons
- Squirrel and Rabbit in season
- Coyote from the onset of Bear season to the end of black powder season
If you have questions about MFFC Hunting & Trapping Rules and Guidelines, please contact us directly at (802)394-7836.