All of the hunting on Merck Forest and Farmland Center property is done in accordance with Vermont Hunting Laws and MFFC land use practices and programming needs.
Twenty-five percent of MFFC's 3100 acres are reserved as a Hunting Safety Zone and hunting or discharging a firearm is prohibited within this designated safety area. Areas outside the safety zone are open to hunting and are most easily accessed through the South Gate Entrance. Hunters should be familiar with the rules and guidelines below.
MFFC Hunting & Trapping Regulations
- Hunters are required to be aware of the MFFC Hunting Safety Zone and hunt outside of the zone's boundaries.
- Hunters are required to sign the Hunter Registry at the Visitor Center or South Gate.
- All hunters, and hikers, are required to wear at least one article of blaze orange clothing during November's rifle season.
- Handguns are prohibited on MFFC property.
- All trapping is prohibited because MFFC's property is dog-friendly.
- Hunting stands may be erected between September 1st and December 15th, but must not be permanently attached (i.e. no nails, bolts, or screws may be used). Stands must be clearly identified with the user's name, address, and phone number in accordance with Vermont Law and must be registered at the MFFC Visitor Center. Stands that are erected out of season, or without user-identification information, will be taken down.
- Hunting of these animals in season is permitted according to this schedule:
- Black Bear: Early Season 9/01 to 11/10/2017; Late Season 11/11 to 11/19/2017.
- Deer -- Bow & Arrow Season: 10/7 to 11/3/2017 and 12/02 to 12/10/2017.
- Deer -- Youth: 11/04-05/2017.
- Deer -- Rifle Season (16-day regular season): 11/11 to 11/26/2017.
- Deer -- Muzzle Loader Season: 12/02 to 12/10/2017.
- Turkey -- Bow & Arrow only: 10/07-20/2017.
- Turkey -- Shotgun or Bow & Arrow: 10/21 to 11/05/2017.
- Squirrel -- 9/01 to 12/31/2017.
- Rabbit -- 9/30 to 12/31/2017.
- Coyote from the onset of Bear season to the end of black powder season: 9/01 to 12/10/2017.
8. Weapons must be unloaded at all times when not in the Hunting Zone.
If you have questions about MFFC Hunting & Trapping Rules and Guidelines, please contact us directly at (802)394-7836.
Please remember, hunting at MFFC is a privilege, NOT a right.