All of the hunting on Merck Forest and Farmland Center property is done in accordance with Vermont Hunting Laws and MFFC land use practices and programming needs.
As of November 2012, 25% of MFFC's 3100 acres are contained within a Hunting Safety Zone. Hunting or discharging a firearm is prohibited within this designated safety area. Areas outside the safety zone are open to hunting and access to this part of the property is easiest through the South Gate Entrance. Hunters should be familiar with the rules and guidelines below.
MFFC Hunting & Trapping Regulations
- Hunters are required to be aware of the MFFC Hunting Safety Zone and hunt outside of the zone's boundaries.
- Hunters are required to sign the Hunter Registry at the Visitor Center or South Gate.
- All hunters, and hikers, are required to wear at least one article of blaze orange clothing during November's rifle season.
- Handguns are prohibited on MFFC property.
- Trapping is prohibited because MFFC's property is dog-friendly.
- Hunting stands may be erected between September 1st and December 15th, but may not be permanently attached (i.e. no nails, bolts, or screws can be used). Stands must be clearly identified with the user's name, address, and phone number in accordance with Vermont Law and must be registered at the MFFC Visitor Center. Stands that are erected out of season, or without user's information, will be taken down.
- Hunting of these animals is permitted as indicated:
- Bear in season;
- Deer during bow, rifle and black powder seasons;
- Game birds in fall and spring seasons;
- Squirrel and Rabbit in season;
- Coyote from the onset of Bear season to the end of black powder season.
8. Weapons must be unloaded at all times when not in the Hunting Zone.
If you have questions about MFFC Hunting & Trapping Rules and Guidelines, please contact us directly at (802)394-7836.
Please remember, hunting at MFFC is a privilege, NOT a right