Position: Visitor Center Weekend Staff Member
The Visitor Center at Merck Forest and Farmland Center is looking to hire a new staff member. Position will work on the weekends.
Overview of Position
Activities change from day-to-day, but generally include:
The Visitor Center staff position is a job opportunity with varied tasks, and it requires hired staff member to be knowledgeable about a variety of information: maple sugaring, working farm and forest, and workings of the non-profit and of the store, as well as maintaining a positive shopping experience for visitors.
- Engaging in conversation with visitors
- Recommending farm/forest activities to guests, and remaining knowledgeable about programs and current events
- Informing visitors about our farm/forest products (how Merck animals are raised, how syrup is made, etc.) and promote products.
- Giving directions to cabins and hiking trails
- Answering questions about Merck Forest Foundation
- Care and upkeep of the store
- Taking reservations for campers
Customer Service, Sales, and Reservations
Visitor Center staff member is responsible for:
Opening and closing store daily, including opening and closing cash register. Closing requires attention to detail, as often this position is the last person on the premises. Retail Edge is the POS system used in the store.
- Selling of Visitor Center goods
- Conversing with visitors
- Maintaining inventory, restocking shelves, organizing displays
- Answering phones - take messages when necessary, relay messages or transfer calls to fellow staff members.
- Recording Camping Reservations: online reservations and phone reservations, recording all paperwork associated with reservations, managing the online calendar, taking payment, and sending confirmations, requires accuracy and attention to detail.
Care and Cleaning
Visitor Center staff member is responsible for the care and cleaning of the Visitor Center, a public space. Duties include:
- Cleaning bathrooms daily
- Vacuuming shop area, meeting room, and entry way
- Dusting displays and shelves
- Refill brochures table in entry way, refill maps at kiosk as needed.
Maintaining and Stoking Woodstove
In colder weather, the Visitor Center staff member is in charge of keeping the V.C. fireplace running.
- Bringing in daily supply of wood and kindling
- Cleaning out ashes
- Building morning fire