Assistant Farm Manager
Visitor Center Customer Service Specialist
Position: Assistant Farm Manager
Position Reports to: Farm Manager
Fifty acres of farmland provide the basis for farm operations and the core area of management for the assistant farm manager. The scope of responsibility of the farm management is broad, encompassing managing the farm, its livestock, equipment, buildings and grounds. The AFM will assist the farm manager in carrying out these duties. Any person fulfilling this position will need to be a developing professional in sustainable agriculture. This job requires farming capabilities, a cooperative approach to problem solving, and a well-rounded teaching and educational knowledge.
The assistant farm manager (AFM) assists the farm manager in all aspects of the farm operations at Merck Forest and Farmland Center (MFFC). The AFM will help manage the livestock, equipment, buildings, farm staff/apprentices, landscape and grounds, marketing, and farm events. The AFM will also participate in educating apprentices and visitors. This position could be viewed as an advanced learning opportunity (advanced apprenticeship) for a developing farmer.
Areas of Responsibility
The Assistant Farm Manager will assist in these areas:
- Farm planning, production and marketing.
- Management of Intensive Rotational Grazing
- U-pick fruit crops including raspberries, blueberries, brambles
- Livestock husbandry including sheep, swine, poultry, and horses
- Small-scale vegetable production
- Working with visitors and learners of all ages
- Groundskeeping and Maintenance
- People oriented
- Situational awareness
- Livestock husbandry
- Management-intensive grazing
- Equipment operation
- Mechanical/maintenance skills
- Customer/visitor interaction
- Construction/electrical/plumbing skills
- Ability to teach, hands-on, in the farm setting
- Grounds care and landscaping
- Horticulture/berry production
The assistant farm manager position will include compensation commensurate with experience and education.
Position: Visitor Center Customer Service Specialist – Saturday & Sunday
Memorial Day weekend to October 15th 8:30-4:30pm;
October 16th – Friday of Memorial Day weekend 8:30-4 pm
Position Reports to: Assistant Director
Areas of Responsibility
Answer phones: take messages when necessary, relay messages or transfer calls to fellow staff members.
Process online & phone reservations: Record reservations, complete all paperwork associated with reservations, online calendar, confirmations and payment; requires accuracy and attention to detail.
Process online & phone orders: Pack & shipping merchandise; process payments
Engage in conversation with visitors:
- Recommend farm/forest activities
- Inform visitors about our farm/forest products (how Merck animals are raised, how syrup is made, etc.)
- Promote products
- Give directions to cabins and hiking trails
- Answer questions about Merck Forest
- Stay knowledgeable about programs and events to relay information to visitors.
Open store daily:
- Responsible for sales of VC goods
- Daily cash-out register
- Maintain inventory, restock & organize displays
- Close-out register at end of day. Day end closing requires attention to detail as often this position is the last person on the premises. Retail Edge is the POS system used in the store.
- Clean bathrooms
- Vacuum shop area and meeting room
- Dust displays and shelves
- Clean windows
- Vacuum or sweep entry area
- Refill brochures table in entry way, refill maps at kiosk as needed.
Handle Firewood in cold weather: (VC staff helps with this chore)
- Bring in daily supply of wood and kindling
- Clean out ashes
- Build morning fire
This position is often the face of the organization and requires:
- Engagement with visitors
- Effective communication with co-workers
- Organizational and record-keeping skills
- Ability to handle multi-tasks accurately
- A courteous and friendly professional manner
- General computer experience, including proficiency in Word and Excel desired
- Prior retail experience is a plus.
To apply please send letter of interest to email@example.com